A collaborative response to a comprehensive attack
A historic day is upon us, thanks to the Liberal government.
Never before have we seen the uniting of our community, or the activation of so many gun owners as we are seeing right now, and it’s only just begun.
In a rare show of unity, over 50 Canadian organizations, representing millions of members, from every province across the country, have joined forces in opposing the arbitrary and punitive “gun ban” by a government who fails to address crime. This is just the first step in a collaborative reaction, to a very comprehensive attack.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
On behalf of our combined memberships.
On May 1, 2020 the Government of Canada, by OIC, did prohibit a large number of firearms previously legally owned in Canada by licensed firearms owners, with the impending threat of additional bans. As a result, we have collaborated on this effort to condemn the actions of this government and demand a credible plan to focus on crime.
Among our many objections, here are our three main concerns:
1. The use of an Order in Council circumvents democracy, avoids the deliberation of evidence, delivery of expert witness testimony, and a full study of the issue. There is no vote amongst legislators therefore no voice for Canadians.
2. This measure targets the wrong demographic entirely, focusing solely on licensed firearms owners who safely and lawfully owned this property without issue previous to this OIC. The government’s primary duty is to uphold the safety of the citizens of Canada. This measure fails to address the criminal acquisition of, or illicit use of firearms.
3. The expense of this ban is immeasurable and prohibitive, from the implementation of a buy-back program, the destruction en masse of confiscated firearms, the framework and administrative costs to implementing the program, to the devastating impact on a multi-billion dollar industry, their employees and families. Our industry has not even begun to calculate the financial damage caused by this unnecessary political measure.
After careful consideration of these issues, we ask you as a unified community to repeal this OIC and instead, craft legislation that will better serve Canadians to accomplish the goal of reducing violence. As Canadian citizens and small business owners we remain committed to the safety of the communities where we live, work and raise our families.
• Canadian Coalition for Firearms Rights
• Canadian Sporting Arms & Ammunition Association
• Canadian Shooting Sports Association
• Canada’s National Firearms Association
• Canadian Sportfishing Industry Association
• Outdoor Caucus Association of Canada
• Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia
• Safari Club International Canada
• Quebec Outfitters Federation
• Canadian Federation of Outfitters Association
• Sherwood Park Fish & Game
• St John’s Rod & Gun Club
• Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation
• Atlantic Provinces Trapshooting Association
• BCWF Political Action Alliance
• Alberta Professional Outfitters Society
• Prince Edward Island Wildlife Federation
• Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters
• New Brunswick Wildlife Federation
• Manitoba Wildlife Federation
• Alberta Fish and Game Association
• Kootenay Wildlife Heritage
• Manitoba Lodge and Outfitters Association
• Lays Lake Outdoor Association
• New Brunswick Trappers & Fur Harvesters Federation
• Mic Mac Rod & Gun Association
• Halifax Wildlife Federation
• Delta Waterfowl
• Women Shooters of PEI
• Nature and Outdoor Tourism Ontario
• Yukon Outfitters Association
• Canadian University Shooting Federation
• Ontario Provincial Trap Shooting Association
• Saskatchewan Recreational Firearm Community
• Fédération Québécoise des Chasseurs et Pêcheurs
• New Brunswick Professional Outfitter and Guide Association
• Spruce City Wildlife Association
• Fur Institute of Canada
• Ontario Fur Managers Federation
• Outfitters Association of Mackenzie Mountains
• Newfoundland and Labrador Outfitters Association
• Fédération des trappeurs gestionnaires du Québec
• Yukon Outfitters Association
• Port Morien Wildlife Association
• Big Game Society of Nova Scotia
• Saskatoon Wildlife Federation
• Quality Deer Management Association
• Réseau ZEC
• Newfoundland & Labrador Wildlife Federation
• Sioux Lookout Handgun & Rifle Club
• Kingsville Shooting Sports Association
• Clarenville Rod & Gun Club
• East Elgin Sportsman Association
• Cape Breton Wildlife Federation
• Nova Scotia Guides Association
• Ontario Skeet Shooting Association
• Kamloops Target Sport Association
• Open Air Accuracy Perry Gammon
You can download the release here: A Collaborative Response – final
If you’ve been missed on this collaborative statement, which will be presented to the Federal government and published in the media, please contact our public relations at: email@example.com to be included.